Tuesday 2 August 2011

Evaluation

I think my shoot for this project was quite successful, although I don’t think it turned out exactly how I planned to begin with, but it was close. It was close because I think all my research and pre-planning after I had explored my space with my first shoot helped towards making a clear picture of what my focus was on and how I was going to take the photos I wanted. Research and a solid proposal also helped to make my time taking photos minimal and ensured I had maximum time re-assessing and re-taking the shots I knew were perfect for the final series.
Taking photos at night-time was a successful move to make, even though I wasn’t sure how effective it would turn out through the camera lens. The lights in the subway lighted up the bold colour, the whites and the geometric tiles on the walls and floor. The lights themselves even added to my photos in detail and effect which was great. The darkness created contrast and gave the subway life and emotion; creating shadows, contrasting with the whites on the walls and creating a seemingly ‘complete’ look to what my photos were focussing on. I didn’t even had to lower my shutter speed to create the movement of  the people through the space, I just needed to use a tripod.
I do believe that because of the layout and position of the structures like steps, ramps and places where I could overlook the subway, I was unable to possibly get some of the images I would have preferred. The layout was a bit odd and there were many passages, which made the perspectives I could get in a shot highly restricting.
Sometimes framing was highly unsuccessful due to the confusion on what I should focus on; whether it should be a wall, the steps, the ground tiles or anything else the had a straight edge. That is a big problem when it comes to taking photos in spaces with a lot of geometry, and I think I should have considered where I was standing to take the picture a bit more. But even that was a task in itself.
You would think that being in a large space with many different areas to take photos of and through to ensure your series had variety but a common theme, would be a good thing. But from what I have found taking pictures in this subway is that it can be the opposite and many things can restrict you from taking the photos you want to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment